- About Us
- Our Research
- Diseases and conditions
- Research Departments
- Research support and facilities
- Participate in our research
- Research history
- Glossary of research terms
- Support Us
- Why support QIMR?
- Ways you can help us
- Donate Now
- Join the Rio Tinto Ride to Conquer Cancer
- Join our Regular Giving Club
- Join the Weekend to End Women's Cancers
- Leave a bequest in your will
- Purchase Christmas cards and hampers
- Corporate partnerships
- Workplace giving
- Fundraise for QIMR
- Attend a fundraising event
- Tribute gifts
- In memoriam gifts
- Stories of hope
- Book a tour or guest speaker
- Our supporters
- Thanks to our donors
- News & Events
- Contact Us
- CMV study
- Queensland Pancreatic Cancer Study
- Australian Centre for Vaccine Development
|Share on Facebook||Share on Twitter||Share on LinkedIn|
The QIMR and The University of Queensland (UQ) Faculty of Health funded HistoTechnology Facility is a service and research laboratory catering to the needs of scientists and postgraduate students within the QIMR, UQ and external institutions.
The unit provides training, technical services and consultation on matters relating to routine paraffin and cryo histology, special stains, immunohistochemistry and antibody optimisation, FISH and CISH labelling, tissue preparation and sectioning for transmission electron microscopy and high-resolution digitisation of histology slides.
The main laboratory is located in the QIMR Bancroft Centre, Level I, room 114. A satellite laboratory is on Level 5 of The University of Queensland Centre for Clinical Research (UQCCR) building, Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital.
The facility has a comprehensive range of equipment for paraffin and frozen sample processing and microtomy, automated slide dewaxing and staining.
Specialised equipment includes:
- Vision Biosystems BondMax auto immunohistochemistry and in situ slide stainer
- Leica Polycut CM3500 cryo microtome capable of cutting undecalcified bone or whole mouse or rat sections
- Leica Ultracut UCT ultramicrotome with cryo attachment
- Nikon Eclipse E800 colour photomicroscope with fluorescence attachment and
- Aperio Scanscope XT histology slide scanner capable of scanning slides at up to 100 000 dpi. in conjunction with an extensive array of image analysis software.
The facility can supply a broad selection of secondary detection antibodies for peroxidase and alkaline phosphatase IHC, and immunofluorescence studies.
The facility accepts work requests from all sources on a pay-for-service basis. Charges are dependent on the origin of the work and broadly fall under a three tier system:
- The University of Queensland - Faculty of Health, staff and students
- QIMR staff and students
- External clients - full-cost recovery
(All clients pay for any consumables used to complete the work)
Laboratory Manager: Clay Winterford
Senior Scientific and Technical Officer: Glynn Rees
Scientific and Technical Officers: Sang-Hee Park, Rita Collins, Doug Harbrow
Scientific Officer: Anthony Chan