2008–2009 Research highlights
- Donor antigen presenting cells found to cause graft-versus-host disease in bone marrow transplant patients.
- The genetic risk of schizophrenia found to be the result of thousands of common genetic variations common to schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
- Identified four new arboviruses from Antarctica.
- Mapped the major chromosomes of Giardia duodenali, a common parasite that is often contracted from untreated water sources causing diarrhoea and vomiting.
- Mapped the genome of Schistosoma japonicum, the first flatworm to be mapped.
- Mitigated dengue risk in areas in southern Vietnam through the use of community-based, biological control interventions to control the number of dengue-
spreading mosquito larvae.
- Showed that the bacteria Wolbachia effectively shortens the life cycle of the mosquito Aedes aegypti, preventing it from spreading dengue fever.
- Identified elevated serum hyaluronic acid levels as a new diagnostic marker for the detection of cirrhosis in patients with haemochromatosis, removing the need
for liver biopsy in 60 percent of patients.