- About Us
- Our Research
- Diseases and conditions
- Research Groups
- Research support and facilities
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health
- Participate in our research
- Research history
- Glossary of research terms
- Support Us
- Why support QIMR Berghofer?
- Ways to help
- Book a tour or guest speaker
- Our supporters
- Thanks to our donors
- News & Events
- Contact Us
- Our Services
- CMV study
- Queensland Pancreatic Cancer Study
- QIMR Berghofer Centre for Immunotherapy and Vaccine Development
Professor Peter Parsons
The Drug Discovery Group combines expertise in cancer biology with drug discovery.
Our drug discovery focuses on two areas:
(a) The chemistry and manufacturing aspects of the novel anticancer drug, EBC-46. This includes devising and testing a satisfactory formulation for formal toxicology, prior to clinical trial.
(b) Development of suitable assays for primary screening of a rain forest plant extract library, looking for anticancer and anti-inflammatory activities.This laboratory has access to:
- A unique library of natural products from the rainforest of northern Australia, some with potential for treatment of various types of cancer;
- A selected set of human tumour cell lines for discovery and evaluation of new anti-cancer agents; and
- Functional biological assays to determine efficacy of novel compounds for anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory and antibiotic activities.
- Development of the novel anticancer drug EBC-46
- Identifying plant compounds with potential for addressing health problems other than cancer
- Activities of specific melanoma transcription factors
- Molecular profiling and biomarker identification in head and neck cancers (including squamous cell carcinoma with perineural invasion)
Group Leader: Professor Peter Parsons
Senior Research Officer: Dr Graeme Walker, Herlina Handoko
Postdoctoral staff: Dr Glen Boyle, Dr Lidia Maslovskaya
Research Assistants: Jenny Johns, Carly Pierce, Michelle Bauer, Natalie Britton, Blake Ferguson
Postgraduate students: Marjorie D'Souza, Ryan Adams, Timothy Warren
Visiting student: Camille Bouyer
Visiting scientist: Associate Professor Kiarash Khosrotehrani
We gratefully acknowledge the support from the following funding agencies:
- National Health and Medical Research Council
- Cancer Council Queensland.
- Perpetual Trustees.
- EcoBiotics Ltd
Professor Giovanni Appendino, Piedmont, Italy
Dr Craig Williams, The University of Queensland
Professor Ben Panizza, Princess Alexandria Hospital