- About Us
- Our Research
- Diseases and conditions
- Research Departments
- Research support and facilities
- Participate in our research
- Research history
- Glossary of research terms
- Support Us
- Why support QIMR?
- Ways you can help us
- Donate Now
- Join the Rio Tinto Ride to Conquer Cancer
- Join our Regular Giving Club
- Join the Weekend to End Women's Cancers
- Leave a bequest in your will
- Purchase Christmas cards and hampers
- Corporate partnerships
- Workplace giving
- Fundraise for QIMR
- Attend a fundraising event
- Tribute gifts
- In memoriam gifts
- Stories of hope
- Book a tour or guest speaker
- Our supporters
- Thanks to our donors
- News & Events
- Contact Us
- CMV study
- Queensland Pancreatic Cancer Study
- Australian Centre for Vaccine Development
|Share on Facebook||Share on Twitter||Share on LinkedIn|
If you are enrolled at an Australian or overseas university you may enrol as a Visiting Student to undertake a research project or placement with a scientist at QIMR as a part of your degree program.
To be accepted as a Visiting Student at QIMR you must:
- Be enrolled in a postgraduate degree, or the final year of an undergraduate degree at a recognised Australian or overseas university
- Have arranged a research project or placement with a QIMR supervisor
- Complete and submit a Visiting Student Admission Form at least one month before you want to start at QIMR
- International students must obtain an appropriate visa from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship.
This process may take up to 12 weeks to finalise and this should be taken into consideration when determining your visit dates.
Visiting Student placements are normally no more than 6 months duration. If you want to work at QIMR for longer than this, for example you are a PhD student enrolled outside QIMR and want to spend some of your time working with your associate supervisor at QIMR, you should apply for admission as a postgraduate student.
To be considered for a Visiting Student placement here, you should first identify a suitable QIMR researcher who supports your application and will supervise you during your time at QIMR. Information about the research laboratories and groups can be found on the our Research Departments page.
You or your QIMR supervisor should email the following documents to Melanie.Anderson@qimr.edu.au:
- Completed Visiting Student Admission form
- Current curriculum vitae or resume
- Brief project outline (no more than one page)
- A letter of support or training agreement from your home university or course supervisor that confirms your placement at QIMR is a part of your degree program
- Documentation from your home university to confirm that you will be enrolled there during your time at QIMR and therefore covered by their insurance
For Australian students, this is normally a copy of your online unofficial transcript
For international students, this information may be included in the letter of support or training document above but must be on university letterhead and must show that you will be covered during the whole of your stay at QIMR (with dates). Alternatively, you can provide documentation of your insurance status
Once we have received the completed form and all supporting documents, the Higher Degrees Committee will consider your application and you will be notified of the outcome in writing as soon as possible.
Before you can start your project at QIMR you must have:
- Received notification that your QIMR Visiting Student Admission form has been approved
- Provided current proof of enrolment from your home university
- Collected your induction documents from Human Resources
For help, please contact: E Melanie.Anderson@qimr.edu.au