- About Us
- Our Research
- Diseases and conditions
- Research Departments
- Research support and facilities
- Participate in our research
- Research history
- Glossary of research terms
- Support Us
- Why support QIMR?
- Ways you can help us
- Donate Now
- Join the Rio Tinto Ride to Conquer Cancer
- Join our Regular Giving Club
- Join the Weekend to End Women's Cancers
- Leave a bequest in your will
- Purchase Christmas cards and hampers
- Corporate partnerships
- Workplace giving
- Fundraise for QIMR
- Attend a fundraising event
- Tribute gifts
- In memoriam gifts
- Stories of hope
- Book a tour or guest speaker
- Our supporters
- Thanks to our donors
- News & Events
- Contact Us
- CMV study
- Queensland Pancreatic Cancer Study
- Australian Centre for Vaccine Development
|Share on Facebook||Share on Twitter||Share on LinkedIn|
To be accepted as a PhD or Research Masters/Mphil student at QIMR you must:
- Be enrolled through an Australian university
- Have arranged a research project with a QIMR supervisor
- Have been awarded or applied for an external competitive scholarship (such as APA, NHMRC, UQI, Cancer Council Queensland)*
- International students must also have an appropriate visa from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship.
This process may take up to 12 weeks to finalise, and this should be taken into consideration when determining your start date.
* Exceptions may be made, especially for MPhil students, but if you want to do a PhD and are not applying for a scholarship, you or your supervisor are strongly advised to discuss your application with the Higher Degrees Committee (HDC) Chair via email HDCChair@qimr.edu.au before applying.
You must apply for admission at both QIMR and your chosen university at the same time. To apply for admission to QIMR, you or your QIMR supervisor should email the following documents to Melanie.Anderson@qimr.edu.au:
- Completed PhD and MPhil Student Admission Form
- Curriculum vitae
- Academic transcript
- Project outline
- Evidence of award of your scholarship (if applicable)
- Confirmation of your university enrolment (if you are already enrolled)
Note: Many university departments will not approve your application until you have at least provisional approval from QIMR, so it is important that you apply to QIMR at the same time that you apply to your chosen university.
Once the completed PhD and MPhil Student Admission Form form and all supporting documents are received your application will be considered at the next QIMR Higher Degrees Committee (HDC) meeting. HDC meetings are held on the first Thursday of February, April, June, August, October and December and all applications should be submitted electronically two weeks before this. You will be notified of the outcome as soon as possible after the meeting. If we have not yet received confirmation of your university enrolment, any approval will be subject to you providing this before you start at QIMR.
Before you can start your project at QIMR you must have:
- Received notification that your PhD and MPhil Student Admission Form has been approved
- Provided current proof of your university enrolment – this is essential for insurance purposes because students are not covered by QIMR insurance
This document can be a letter from your university or a copy of your unofficial academic transcript however it must display the university logo and must show that you are enrolled in a post-graduate program for the period you will be at QIMR. An offer of a university place is not sufficient.
- Collected your induction documents from Human Resources
PhD students may also be eligible to apply for a Laboratory-based Top-Up scholarship through their supervisor or an HDC Top-Up Scholarship (available for second year students).
For help with your admission application please contact: E Melanie.Anderson@qimr.edu.au
For further information about potential projects, supervisors and QIMR labs, please contact the Education Coordinator: E email@example.com